Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Learn and End Hunger at the Same Time!

I occasionally encounter a website that grabs my attention so completely that if I am not careful, I will lose hours of my day. http://www.freerice.com/ happens to be one of them. Freerice.com is a website created by John Breen, on October 7, 2007 a computer programmer in Bloomington, Indana, while watching his son study for the SAT.

I can not remember how I heard of the site, it was a while ago, but, I thought it was a great idea. I love words and this was a fun way of improving my vocabulary and at the same time feed hungry people. "How?"you ask; "can you feed hungry people while playing a game on the Internet?" FreeRice partners with the UN to donate 20 grains of rice for each correct answer you give.

When you first visit the site you will see a word and four definitions, if you select the correct response you will donate 20 grains of rice, a tally is kept on the right side of the screen. As you answer more and more questions correctly the difficulty of the words increases, providing even more of a challenge.

At first, the site focused on English Grammar only, now they have added additional subjects, Math, Science, Language Learning, Art and Geography. This is an excellent resource for teachers to engage their students while benefiting the world.

How effective is this website? To date FreeRice.com has donated 42,243,701,230 grains of rice.
it takes approximately 20,000 grains of rice provide enough caloric intake to sustain an adult for one day. I will leave it to you to do the math.

Visit www.FreeRice.com and see if you can use it in your class.

Do you have a favorite website that you like to use in your classroom? Let me know, if I receive enough responses I'll do an article on it.


No comments: